Thursday 15 November 2012

The (occasionally dreaded) Christmas run up and Let's get making. Starry Stars for the Christmas Tree! (Tres simple I promise!)

It's coming, we all know it.  

Sadly, I catch myself going off on my instant reaction to Christmas.  You know the old 'Oh Blimey no...already?  Am not ready...where are we going to find the extra few hundred that dribbles out of my wallet into someone's else's, etc etc etc...in short, proper MRS MINUS thoughts about the forthcoming Season)  Easily done and with good reason, especially in current climates with two freelance parents.

BUT, dear readers it doesn't have to be this way.  Christmas day is really just a day, when thought of as a proper snuggly Sunday, we get to be with those that we love, eat good nosh, play games, watch movies and lounge en famille under a duvet on the new (second hand) sofa that now seats all of us (at a real push!)

Hmmm, am beginning to feel a flicker of excitement.

My children now are 8 and nearly 5 years of age.  This means that they have now reached an age where they can actually get involved, get excited and get making independently given the materials, some instructions and a finished article to work to.  

I don't know about you but previous to this age, when doing creative activities with my babes, the art session was much more of a 'damage limitation' hour that involved, setting up, manhandling the mess created by the (very happy it has to be said) children and then another hour clearing up.  All for the five minutes of actually doing the activity, until darling children lose interest and off they go - I know ALL about that trust me.  

But, once again dearest reader, for however long, for very little thanks and in the name of creativity...puhleeze continue with said activities for all ages of your babes.  They LOVE it, will remember it and guaranteed when they are older (like me now with DS) you look at the odd thing that we haven't lobbed out as it was broken (& quite crap) and think aww...I loved doing that with them, its a trick of parenthood, you may have a rubbish time making with them but guaranteed you won't remember it this way!

So...onward to making.

Dead simple to start with.

'A Starry Christmas Tree Decoration'

You will need:

3 x lollypop sticks
Lashings of glue
Sequins or can be made perfectly nicely too with buttons.
Cotton or fishing wire (to hang star on the tree with)

1.
Take your lollies and glue together one on top of another in starry-like fashion.


2.
Apply lashings (love that word) of glue, stick by stick.  Take your sequins and place on one by one.  I wouldn't try the glitter effect (that is pouring the sequins over the glue) as they stick in all the wrong places.  I did it by hand but with the help of a wee pen (with the lid on) just to help me place them.  Once your lolly sticks are covered, step away from the decoration and leave to dry for a good 24hrs...

Tada!

The only thing left to do with this baby is to hang my cotton from the top of one end of the sticks and  it's all done and ready to hang on the tree.

Well done everyone!


5 comments:

  1. Just popping over from MN. This is a lovely idea and I'm sure when my IQ is old enough, we'll be making these too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love it! Thanks Jade...I promise to keep the ideas coming for when you are ready... x

      Delete
  2. Love this! I'm very artistically challenged so if I can do it, then your dog probably can too. I may even be brave enough to take pics of this when I've had a go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would LOVE to see them when you do! Thanks for having a read Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan Clifford: I like your blog! Unfortunately I have no lollypop sticks at present so am thinking of purchasing and consuming several Magnums. Although the lollypop sticks are a bit more stumpy I am convinced they will work!. Brilliant idea. xxx

    ReplyDelete